Empoyees from Ukrainian hydrometeorological center participated in "Baltic+2023"
In October-November 2023, employees of the Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Center took part in the Baltic+2023 training course organized by the European Space Agency EUMETSAT in cooperation with the Latvian Center for Environment, Geology and Meteorology. The course consisted of two parts: an online phase from October 2 to 20, 2023, and an offline phase from November 7 to 9, which took place in Riga, Latvia. The topic of this year's course was "Detection and Monitoring of Extratropical Cyclone Features over the Baltic Region".
Based on an invitation from EUMETSAT, the delegates also attended the offline phase. The training was attended by 5 countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Ukraine) - specialists of national hydrometeorological services in the field of meteorology. The course was held in English and was aimed at deepening knowledge in satellite meteorology, using ensemble forecast data and applying this knowledge in current forecasting work.
The main topics covered during this time:
- Satellite images, decoding and recognition of atmospheric formations on them.
- MTG, the next generation satellite: enhanced capabilities and improved satellite imagery.
- Impact based forecast: weather forecasts and warnings about dangerous and natural phenomena with clarification of possible consequences for the population.
- Use of ensemble models in forecasting.
- ECMWF products that help determine the trajectory of extratropical cyclones.
Photo by Kristiāns Pāps